Why settle for ordinary salsa when you can whip up this easy Pineapple Pico de Gallo recipe? Sweet pineapple is a great addition to turn traditional pico de gallo into a mouthwatering sweet and spicy salsa. Full of fresh ingredients, this recipe is great for dipping or serving as a healthy topping or relish on favorite Mexican dishes.
The tropical twist in this chunky salsa makes it a favorite especially in hot weather! Simple ingredients and easy preparation make fresh Pineapple Pico de Gallo a winner with the perfect balance between sweet and spicy flavors.
Fresh fruit salsas are a crowd-pleasing dip and great for a Cinco de Mayo party. The addition of pineapple, the fresh flavor, makes this fruity salsa so satisfying (try our Mango Pico de Gallo too). Homemade pico de gallo continues to build in flavor and is even better the next day!
What makes this skinny?
It's made with low calorie fresh ingredients!
What is pico de gallo?
This is a classic type of salsa made with chopped tomatoes, onion, serrano peppers, salt, zesty lime juice and cilantro. It's a textures salsa also called also called salsa fresca, salsa bandera, and salsa cruda.
The addition of fresh pineapple is the main difference giving this great recipe a fun twist.
The difference between pico de gallo and salsa is pico de gallo is made with fresh ingredients where traditional salsa is usually made with cooked ingredients.
Printable recipe card at the end of the post.
Fresh pineapple. This gives a sweet contrast to the other savory salsa fresca ingredients. Choose a ripe pineapple without any blemishes or soft spots. You'll need 1 ¾ cups of diced pineapple.
Tomato. Choose fully ripe tomatoes for this fresh salsa recipe. They have the best flavor. Ripe Roma tomatoes with the seeds removed are a great choice. You'll use 1 cup diced tomato.
Red onion. This is a classic ingredient in pico de gallo. Only ¼ cup of diced onion is needed.
Orange bell pepper. This adds vibrant colors and some sweetness. This is not a traditional ingredient and can be left out if desired.
Cilantro. Fresh cilantro is a key salsa ingredient. You'll chop the cilantro to make ⅓ cup.
Fresh lime juice. This adds a tangy acidity that's delcious! Use freshly squeezed lime juice for best flavor. We use a handheld juicer to extract the most juice while straining out the seeds. You'll need 1 ½ tablespoons which is roughly 1 lime (slightly less).
Chile peppers. Serrano peppers are perfect if you like spicy salsa. Use jalapeno peppers for milder salsa. Remove the stem and seeds. We use the end of a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Be sure to wash hands well after handling chile peppers and do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth before doing so!
How to make Pineapple Pico de Gallo
In a large bowl combine the salsa ingredients (photos 1-7): diced pineapple, fresh tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, chopped cilantro, lime juice, serrano pepper or jalapeno pepper, salt and pepper.
Mix well (photo 8).
Serve at room temperature or chilled. If serving at room temperature allow the salsa to sit for 20 minutes before serving for best flavor.
Chile peppers can vary significantly in heat. Serrano chilies are smaller and hotter than jalapeno peppers. Jalapenos can range in heat too. When in doubt about how much to use, taste a very small piece to decide how much you want in your own salsa.
Serve it With...
There are so many ways to enjoy pineapple pico de gallo salsa! Here are just a few ideas:
- Favorite tortilla chips for dipping
- On Air Fryer Taquitos
- Perfect topping for Fajitas: vegetarian fajitas, shrimp fajitas or chicken fajitas
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa (a spicy take for beef tacos)
- Tropical flavors great with Mexican Adobo Chicken
- Your next Taco Night with other toppings
How to Store
Store the pineapple salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The flavors will continue to blend and the salsa will soften when stored.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can though fresh diced pineapple has a better flavor and texture. Canned pineapple is usually saturated with juice with soggy texture.
More recipes you'll love!
Did you make it? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST
Pineapple Pico de Gallo
- 1 ¾ cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup diced tomatoes seeded Roma tomatoes are a great choice
- ½ cup diced orange bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon diced serrano chili stemmed and seeded (you can also use a jalapeño pepper if you want it milder)
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix together diced pineapple, tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro, red onion, serrano chilies, lime juice, salt and black pepper. Stir until well combined.1 ¾ cups diced fresh pineapple, 1 cup diced tomatoes, ½ cup diced orange bell pepper, ⅓ cup chopped cilantro, ¼ cup diced red onion, 1 tablespoon diced serrano chili, 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Serve room temperature or chilled. If serving immediately allow the fresh salsa to sit for 20 minutes for the flavors to blend first.
- Serrano chilies are hotter than jalapeno peppers. If you want a less spicy salsa substitute jalapeno peppers.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chile peppers before dicing. Use the end of a dining spoon to scrape out the seeds.
- Always wash hands well (or wear gloves) after handling chile peppers. Do not touch eyes, nose or mouth before washing hands.
So vibrant & delicious!! The pineapple flavor just pops in your mouth!! I love this with chips or over tacos!
I served this pineapple salsa with fish tacos, and it was so good!! It was the perfect addition.
We will be making this on repeat all summer long! The combination of sweet and spicy is so good. It doesn't even last for 3 hours at my house, let alone 3 days. Haha.
This sweet, spicy and tropical pico de gallo was fantastic and will definitely be a huge hit in my house all summer.
I love the sweet & savory flavors together, perfect for nachos and tacos!
We made this last week for our taco night and everyone loved it. Delicious tropical addition.
This was such a light and fresh salsa. Perfect with fish tacos.
We love making pico de gallo at home and this pineapple version is a new favorite. We loved it with chips for dipping and added it to some grilled fish we made over the weekend.