This hearty Cabbage Vegetable Soup is filling, satisfying and a great low-calorie tool for your healthy weight loss plan! Loaded with wholesome vegetables in a flavorful broth, this healthy soup warms up any day and is a great reset after food-heavy holidays!
This soup is a perfect example of the right simple ingredients combined making a delicious soup. It's fast and easy to make, satisfying, loaded with vegetables, low calorie, very flexible to change it up. You can make it on the stove top or in the Instant Pot too.
I'm sure you've heard of the Cabbage Soup Diet (which is not something we recommend) but there's a reason a diet has been built around a soup.
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable (same as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale) loaded with nutrients: vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. It's full of insoluble fiber which isn't digested but rather helps move digestion along while keeping you feeling full. And it's low calorie.
This vegetarian cabbage soup recipe is the most adaptable soup too. There are loads of ways to change it up and increase your vegetable intake as well as feel full and satisfied!
What makes this skinny?
The ingredients are really just low calorie vegetables. Only 1 tablespoon of olive oil is used to sauté the onions. Low sodium vegetable broth is the base of the broth. It's so good.
With this many high fiber vegetables the soup is very filling and helps with digestion (perfect after a big food holiday).
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Olive Oil. Only 1 tablespoon is used to sauté the onions and garlic.
Sweet Onion. A medium sweet onion is sautéed to build the soup flavors.
Garlic. Three garlic cloves minced are used.
Vegetable Broth. Use low sodium vegetable broth. This allows you to control the amount of salt used in the recipe.
Green Cabbage. Half of a small green cabbage is chopped for the easy soup recipe. Fresh cabbage adds lots of texture and flavor to the soup.
Carrots. Use 3 medium-large size carrots. The carrots need to be peeled and sliced.
Celery. Use three large stalks of celery rinsed, trimmed and sliced.
Canned tomatoes. We used seasoned stewed tomatoes which have a stronger tomato flavor. They can be left whole or diced tomatoes. Add the tomato juice from the can to the soup too!
You can substitute these for another type of tomato too like fire-roasted tomatoes. The key is using tomatoes with herbs or other flavors to add flavors to the soup.
Kosher Salt. Kosher salt is a better tasting salt and is less salty tasting.
ground Black Pepper. Use freshly ground black pepper for the best flavor.
How to Make Vegetable Cabbage Soup - stove top method
For Instant Pot preparation instructions please refer to the recipe card at the end of the blog post.
STEP 1. Sauté
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions until transluscent. Add the garlic and sauté one more minute.
Add the carrots and celery, stir to combine (photo 1).
Add the vegetable broth (photo 2) and cabbage (photo 3-4).
STEP 3. Cook
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft and cabbage has wilted; about 30 minutes.
Add some protein. If you want to make this even more filling but still keep it skinny add some chopped cooked chicken breast, cooked ground turkey sausage, turkey Italian sausage, leftover Thanksgiving turkey, some lean ham. Or add some chickpeas or white beans.
Have other vegetables you love? You can use any variety of vegetables. Green beans, bell pepper, fresh tomatoes. Try different vegetables to change up this easy cabbage soup. It's a great soup to use up leftover healthy veggies too.
Use a different broth. If you don't care that the soup isn't vegetarian or vegan swap in low sodium chicken broth or beef broth.
Add some seasonings. The soup really has a lot of flavor on it's own but feel free to add Italian seasoning, thyme (dried or fresh thyme sprigs), herbes de provence, cumin, Mexican seasoning, or a bay leaf.
Like a brothier soup? This soup has lots of vegetables giving it texture but if you like more broth add another 1-2 cups of broth.
How to Store
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days and reheat before serving leftovers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Allow the cooked soup to fully cool. Add it to freezer safe containers (leaving some space on top to accommodate expansion when frozen). Freeze for 2-3 months and thaw in the refrigerator before reheating. It's great to make a double batch of the soup just for freezing!
More recipes you'll love!
Did you make it? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST
Vegetable Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ small head green cabbage chopped
- 3 medium-large carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 large stalks celery sliced
- 1 14.5-ounce can seasoned stewed tomatoes whole or diced
Stove Top Preparation Method
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sauté the onions until they are tender and transparent (4-5 minutes).1 medium sweet onion
- Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute.3 cloves garlic
- Add in the broth, salt, pepper, cabbage, carrots, celery and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil.8 cups low sodium vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, ½ small head green cabbage, 3 medium-large carrots, 3 large stalks celery, 1 14.5-ounce can seasoned stewed tomatoes
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender and cabbage has wilted. Serve!
Instant Pot Preparation Method
- Turn 6-quart Instant Pot to SAUTE setting. Add the olive oil.
- Sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add garlic; saute 1 additional minute. Turn off the SAUTE function.
- Add the remaining ingredients (vegetable broth, salt, pepper, cabbage, carrots, celery and tomatoes). Stir together scraping off any browned food bits sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot insert.
- Seal the lid, turn vent to sealed position. Turn Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure for 15 minutes. NOTE: it will take the Instant Pot 10-15 minutes to come to pressure.
- When cooking is complete, carefully MANUALLY RELEASE pressure. Serve!
Thank you so much for this recipe. I rarely leave comments but this was so delicious, comforting, and easy. Even the husband enjoyed this who is a meat and potatoes type of eater. I used Herbs de Provence for the seasoning and it was perfect as well as tomatoes that we harvested from our garden that I canned in the fall. It's so versatile so next time I think I'll try some greens and protein. It's just the husband and me so it made a large amount so I froze the remainder in my Souper Cubes for easy reheat for later. Thanks again.
Toni Dash says
I’m so happy you enjoyed the soup and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It’s very good on its own but also so flexible as you point out!
Paula K says
I just made this and it's amazing! I am making it again on Sunday for the family. Thank you!
We always have cabbage to use up in the fridge so this recipe is perfect. So healthy and filling too.
Every bite is amazing! All of the flavors are incredible and with such simple ingredients.
Such delicious and hearty comfort food. A great way to eat more veggies too.
Such an amazing and comforting meal! Thank you so much for the recipe!
Gina Abernathy says
A nice and warming soup, plus low calorie. I need this during the holiday months to keep me on track with my weight loss goals. It's full of delicious veggies, is so enjoyable, and super filling.