This Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts recipe makes a delicious, easy side dish in just 10 minutes. It's a perfect side dish any night of the week and great for holiday menus too.
This really is the best way to cook crispy Brussels sprouts. They are cooked in the middle with a nice 'bite' (not mushy) and delicious crispy edges.
These healthy vegetables use only 4 simple ingredients! It's a delicious recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts and you never have to turn on the oven. Crispy sprouts are always a favorite to serve with air fryer salmon, air fryer chicken breasts or whenever you need a delicious side dish.
What makes this skinny?
- Air frying! Air fryers work like a little convection oven, cooking by circulating hot air around food to cook it. In the process with a bit of oil (or oil spray) it creates and exterior like regular frying....without loads of oil calories to get there.
- Using less oil. Instead of drizzling on olive oil, we spritz twice with olive oil spray. This accomplishes the same thing that the oil does (allows the seasonings to stick to the Brussels sprouts and crisps the outer leaves) just with less calories.
- The only other thing in the recipe as seasonings which have minimal calories
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Brussels sprouts. You'll need 1 pound. Choose green Brussels spouts with tight unblemished leaves that are similar size. Rinse and pat dry, trim the bottom stem and cut in half through the stem end. Large sprouts should be quartered.
Olive oil spray. We use this to allow the spices to coat the sprouts and to get crispy outer leaves. It replaces the need for olive oil (and saves calories).
Garlic powder. Gives a delicious garlicky flavor.
Air Fryer Cooking Note
Different brands, styles and powers of air fryers each cook slightly differently. This makes it important to monitor air fryer recipes when cooking. Your personal air fryer may need a few extra minutes to cook, or a few less. And depending on the basket size you may need to cook in batches.
This air fryer Brussel sprouts recipe was developed using a Cosori 5.8 quart Air Fryer. It is a larger basket 1700 watt machine.
How to make Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
Printable recipe card at the end of the blog post.
STEP 1. Preheat the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F.
STEP 2. Season the Brussels Sprouts
In a small bowl combine the garlic powder, sea salt (or kosher salt) and black pepper. Mix together.
Place the trimmed Brussels sprouts (photos 1-2) into a large bowl. Spritz with olive oil, toss and spritz again as needed to light coat.
Sprinkle on the seasoning, toss to coat the Brussel sprouts (photo 4).
STEP 3. Air fry
Add the Brussels sprouts to the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer (if possible) (photo 5). Cook at 380 degrees F for 10 minutes, tossing or shaking the basket halfway through.
At the end of 10 minutes the Brussels sprouts should be cooked through still with a bite (not mushy) and the exterior leaves should be crispy (photo 6). If needed or desired cook a few minutes longer. See notes about air fryers.
For softer Brussels sprouts
If the crispy exterior isn't for you and you'd prefer more tender Brussels sprouts on the outside, soak them in a medium bowl of cold water for 10-15 minutes before cooking (photo 3 above). Remove and dab them dry completely with a paper towel to soak up excess moisture then proceed with adding the spices as noted in the recipe.
The consistency of the final Brussels sprouts will be the same however the outside does not become as crispy as when they are not soaked.
Add some parmesan cheese. For some extra flavor, after cooking sprinkle on some fresh grated Parmesan cheese for Parmesan Brussels sprouts.
Add a glaze. Making a simple glaze to serve on the crispy air fryer Brussels sprouts is next level. A little balsamic vinegar adds some sweetness or use a balsamic glaze with a bit of salty soy sauce and maple syrup (just a smidge).
Cook similar size sprouts. The Brussels sprouts will cook evenly in the same cooking time if they are all a similar size. Regular size can be cut in half. Larger sprouts should be cut into quarters with sharp knife. This gets the best results.
Do not overcook. Overcooked Brussels sprouts can become bitter from releasing sulfur. Air fry Brussel sprouts to be al dente in texture with crispy outsides.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can if they are completely thawed first. They won't have the same crispy outside as fresh Brussels sprouts but will still be good!
How to Store
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven, microwave or in the air fryer for a minute or two to heat through and re-crisp the exterior.
More recipes you'll love!
Did you make it? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed, blemished leaves removed, halved through the stem end. Larger sprouts should be quartered
- olive oil spray
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F.
- Combine the garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bow. Stir together.
- Add the prepared Brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Spritz with olive oil spray, toss and spritz again as needed to light coat.
- Sprinkle over the seasonings, toss to coat the Brussels sprouts.
- Place into the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, shaking or tossing halfway through. Check for doneness (the sprouts should be cooked through but still have a bit, not mushy, and the outside leaves should be crispy).If needed cook and additional few minutes until done. Serve immediately.
- Choose similar size Brussels sprouts so they cook evenly in the same amount of time.
- Larger sprouts need to be quartered; regular size should be halved.
- Soak the halved (or quartered) sprouts in a large bowl of cold water to cover for 10-15 minutes
- Remove from water and pat dry with paper towels to remove all excess moisture
- Add to the large bowl and proceed with olive oil spray spritzing and seasoning then cook!