If your favorite traditional Chinese dish on the take-out menu is fried rice, you'll love this healthy dinner version of Chinese takeout. Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice plump shrimp, favorite vegetables all in a delicious sauce perfect for busy weeknights and that the entire family will love. Ready in about 30 minutes!
If you love the delicious flavors in the original version, this healthy alternative will become a favorite too. Low carb cauliflower rice, juicy shrimp, fresh vegetables come together in this cauliflower shrimp rice recipe for the win. It's a great way to enjoy a favorite dish as a quick dinner (it's a great weeknight meal) in a healthier, lower calorie way.
If you think you don't like cauliflower rice, try this. You'll make your own cauliflower rice fresh which makes a big difference in the flavor and texture too! It's a great
What makes this skinny?
- Using cauliflower rice versus real rice (white rice or brown rice) is a big calorie saver. 100 grams of white rice has 130 calories where cauliflower rice has 25 calories for the same serving size. Cauliflower also has more dietary fiber.
- Traditional fried rice recipes can use up to ¼ cup of oil. This recipe uses 2 tablespoons across 7 ½ cups which is a low amount per serving.
- Frozen peas are common in fried rice but also have more calories than non-starchy vegetables so we left them out and bulked up on the other vegetables instead.
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Medium shrimp. You'll need 1 pound of medium size peeled and deveined raw shrimp with the tails removed. Do not use pre-cooked shrimp. Fresh shrimp or frozen, thawed shrimp can be used.
Cauliflower. You'll make the cauliflower rice with fresh cauliflower! It's easy, fast and more affordable than buying frozen cauliflower (and tastes better). Use one medium to large heat of cauliflower.
Carrots. You'll need one cup of chopped carrots (peeled before chopping). This is the equivalent of about 2 medium size carrots.
Yellow onion. One cup of chopped onions.
Oil. Use a mild flavored oil that has a high smoke point (which means it will cook well at higher temperatures). Canola oil or safflower oil are great choices.
Oyster sauce. This is a popular sauce used in Asian cooking. Despite the name it does not taste like oysters. It's a thick sweet and salty sauce that adds flavor to the riced cauliflower. You should be able to find this are the grocery store in the international section.
Low sodium soy sauce. Regular low sodium soy sauce or low sodium gluten-free tamari can be used.
Green onion. You'll use two green onions both the white part of the green onion and the green portion; sliced.
How to make Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice
STEP 1. Make the cauliflower rice
Rinse the head of cauliflower and pat dry. Cut into florets and discard any green leaves or stem.
Place the cauliflower florets in the bowl of a food processor (photo 1) and pulse to process into rice size pieces. Alternatively you can use a box grater on medium holes to grate the cauliflower.
Remove excess liquid by placing the cauliflower rice into a mixing bowl and pressing on it with a few layers or paper towel. Or place the cauliflower rice in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to release the moisture. Set aside.
STEP 2. Cook shrimp
In a non-stick wok or large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
When hot add the shrimp. Cook, stirring often, until the shrimp are no longer gray and translucent (they should be pink/white and opaque); around 3 minutes. Remove and set aside (photo 2).
STEP 3. Scramble the eggs
Add the whisked eggs to the pan and scramble over medium-high heat. Remove and set aside (photo 3).
STEP 4. Stir Fry
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat over high heat.
Add the bell peppers, carrots and onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring periodically (photo 4). Add the garlic and fresh ginger (photo 5). Stir to combine and cook 30-60 seconds.
Add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine all ingredients. Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes (photo 6).
Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and green onions (photos 7-9). Stir to fully coat the other ingredients in the wok or skillet
Fold in the cooked shrimp and fried egg (photos 10-11). Mix to distribute with the other ingredients (photo 12). Serve immediately topped with a sprinkled of red pepper flakes or sesame seeds (if desired).
Add different or more fresh veggies. Broccoli, green beans, bean sprouts or whatever other vegetables you have on hand. Cut them into small pieces so they will cook quickly with the other vegetables.
Add some fish sauce. If you love a stronger flavor, add some fish sauce when the soy sauce is added.
Have all ingredients prepared before starting to cook. Stir fry cooking is fast and requires stirring. There is no time to prepare ingredients while you cook!
How to Store
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
More recipes you'll love!
Did you make it? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST
Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice
- 1 pound medium-size peeled deveined raw shrimp
- 1 medium-large cauliflower head
- 1½ cups chopped red bell pepper
- 2 large scallions (green onion) white and green portions sliced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 2 teaspoons diced ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce regular or gluten-free low sodium soy sauce or tamari can be used
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Make the cauliflower rice
- Rinse the head of cauliflower and pat dry. Cut into florets and discard any green leaves or stem.
- Place florets in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to process into rice size pieces.
- Remove excess liquid from the riced cauliflower by placing the cauliflower rice into a mixing bowl and pressing on it with a few layers or paper towels. Or place the cauliflower rice in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to release the moisture. Set aside.
- In a non-stick wok or large non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- When hot add the shrimp and lightly salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the shrimp are no longer gray and translucent (they should be pink/white and opaque); around 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the whisked eggs to the pan and scramble over medium-high heat. Remove and set aside. NOTE: if there is residual egg stuck to the pan this can be scraped off with a spatula before the next step (or allow it to cook off).
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat over high heat.
- Add the bell pepper, carrots and onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Stir to combine and cook 30-60 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine all ingredients. Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and green onion. Stir to fully coat the other ingredients in the wok or skillet
- Fold in the shrimp and scrambled eggs. Mix to distribute with the other ingredients. Serve immediately topped with a sprinkld of red pepper flakes (if desired).
Claudia Lamascolo says
This is my new favorite way to eat cauliflower great recipe the whole family loves this!
I love how you have managed to take one of my favorite take out meals and make it healthy. The swap of rice for cauliflower is genius. This meal is missing none of the taste!
ali randall says
My husband and I are trying to eat healthier now that we are empty nesters and I have everything I need to make this recipe. I loved using cauliflower for the veggies instead of rice and shrimp makes this even tastier.
Robin G. says
I made this last night and my bf didn't even realize it was made with cauliflower at first. This recipe is a keeper!
Suja md says
Delicious yet simple recipe that the whole family loved. Can’t wait to make it again!
This turned out amazing and we loved every bite!
What a delicious meal! Easy to make and great spices!
This was such a hit! Thank you for Love all the ingredients.
Teresa F says
Just delicious. And super easy to make. Thank you!
Love all the shrimp and flavors in this fabulous cauliflower rice. Can't wait to make this again for my family.
Absolutely delicious. Cauliflower fried rice made perfect with the addition of shrimp!! Will make again, thanks for a great recipe!
This is a dish my whole family loved!