If you love the flavor of sweet warm caramelized bananas AND using your air fryer, this Air Fryer Bananas recipe is a must make! Ready in a flash and a perfect low calorie topping or ingredient for so many recipes.
A wonderful thing happens when bananas are cooked. The natural sugars caramelize giving a delicious buttery sweetness without needing to add extra added sugar. Combine that with air fryer cooking and you have a perfect way to make a new sweet treat to add to your favorite air fryer recipes.
Using only simple ingredients this easy recipe cooks up a wonderful topping or ingredient to use in so many ways!
This easy air fryer banana recipe is a healthier alternative to traditional fried bananas since it uses minimal oil. A perfect air fryer banana dessert ingredients or delicious breakfast topping.
It's a guilt-free treat that can be enjoyed on its own or added to oatmeal (or overnight oats), yogurt, as a pancake topping, on nice cream or fruit ice cream. So much easier than cooking on the stove top too!
What makes this skinny?
- No frying in oil or melted butter. Using an air fryer cooks the bananas using convection heat (hot air circulation) giving them the same delicious caramelized banana flavor without loads of oil.
- Satisfaction. Bananas are known for their satiating properties due to their fiber content. Including them in your low-calorie recipes can help you feel full and satisfied without overindulging.
- Natural Sweetness. Bananas are naturally sweet, so you don't need to add brown sugar or sweeteners to make them delicious. This means you can enjoy a satisfying treat without consuming excessive calories from added sugars.
- Built-in Portion Control: Bananas are naturally portion-controlled due to their size and structure. When you create recipes with sliced or sectioned bananas, you're creating built-in portion control that helps manage calorie intake.
Bananas are also rich in nutrients like potassium, dietary fiber, and vitamins. By using bananas as a base for your low-calorie recipes, you're adding nutritional value to your dishes without piling on extra calories
While air-fried bananas can be a great low-calorie option, it's advisable to monitor portion sizes to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet.
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Ripe bananas. Choose fully ripe but still firm medium size bananas (do not use overripe bananas). Peel and place on a cutting board; slice with a sharp knife into ½-inch thick slices. As a guide 1 medium banana makes approximately 13 slices.
Cinnamon. Cinnamon is a classic spice to pair with bananas. Another delicious option would be pumpkin pie spice.
Oil spray. We used avocado oil spray. Any oil spray with high smoke point and neutral flavor can be used. We did not use olive oil spray wanting a more neutral flavor.
How to make it
STEP 1. Preheat Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
STEP 2. Prepare the banana slices
Place the sliced banana onto a plate (photo 1). Spritz on both sides lightly with oil and sprinkle with cinnamon (photo 2).
STEP 3. Air Fry
Place the banana slices into the air fryer basket in a single layer with some space in between (photo 3). Air fry for 5-7 minutes, gently flipping (they will be soft) the slices over halfway through cooking (photo 4). Remove and use immediately.
NOTE: depending on the amount being cooked and your air fryer basket or air fryer tray size you may need to cook in batches.
How to use
The caramelized bananas are delicious for so many purposes.
- On non-fat Greek yogurt. Make a yogurt parfait by adding some of the air fryer banana slices on top of non-fat yogurt and sprinkle on some finely chopped nuts or granola (keep an eye on the quantity as the calories of granola and nuts can add up).
- Fruit ice cream. We love making fruit soft serve 'ice cream' with a Yonanas machine. It's a soft serve texture fruit-only frozen dessert. Top any flavor with air fryer bananas and other fresh fruit.
- Nice Cream or lower calorie vanilla ice cream topping
- Overnight oats topping with other sweet fruit like berries (a great way to start the day!)
- Peanut Butter toast. Slather a slice of favorite low-calorie toast with some reconstituted peanut butter powder and slices of air fryer bananas.
- S'mores dessert idea. After the bananas are cooked place mini marshmallows on top of each slice (one mini marshmallow per banana slice) and cook enough additional time for the marshmallow to soften, then add to top of our Chocolate Chia Pudding.
- On French toast
Air Fryer Cooking tip
Every brand, model and size of air fryer cooks slightly differently depending on the type of air fryer. Always monitor during cooking and adjust as needed for your specific air fryer. We use a Cosori 5.8 quart XL air fryer.
How to store
These air fryer bananas are best right out of the air fryer. They do not store well. Enjoy them warm out of the air fryer for a delicious snack and a healthy snack.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Banana chips are hard similar to potato chips (but thicker). These air fry bananas are still soft after cooking not crispy banana chips.
Yes! Follow the same instructions and adjust cooking time as needed.