Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs taste like summer! Now you can enjoy them all year and not have to grill them. These air fryer chicken skewers are loaded with tender chicken marinated in a tasty sauce and fresh vegetables. All cooked to perfection in 10 minutes!!
Air frying a delicious dinner has never been easier! Cubes of lean chicken breast soak in a simple marinade for 15 minutes then combine with red bell peppers, yellow peppers, red onion and zucchini to cook in 10 minutes. Serve with some cauliflower rice and you have a complete meal the whole family will love.
Making chicken kabobs in the air fryer will become one of your favorite ways to make them!
What makes this skinny?
- Using an air fryer. Air fryer recipes are always fast and fabulous making a fried type end result using convection cooking (circulating air). No additional fat is used. Normally kabobs are cooked on an outdoor grill which is also a great method but oil is need to keep the kabobs from sticking to the grill.
- Chicken breast. It's a lean protein which is lower calorie. It can dry out so it's important to monitor during cooking.
- Lots of vegetables. The majority of the ingredients are vegetables!
- Light marinade. The marinade has loads of flavor but only 1 tablespoon of oil spread between four servings.
Recipe Ingredient Notes
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts. You'll need 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch to 1.5-inch cubes.
- Red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper. Sweet bell peppers are a classic kabob ingredient. Use a medium size of each cut into 1-inch squares.
- Red onion (purple onion). One small red onion is all you'll need cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Zucchini. Use a medium zucchini sliced into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Spices. Paprika, oregano, garlic powder and cumin are used in the marinade.
- Low sodium Soy Sauce or Tamari. Using reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari if gluten-free gives the soy sauce flavor without all the salt.
- Olive oil. Oil is necessary in a marinade to convey the marinade flavors to the ingredients. Without it the marinade won't bond with the ingredients. Only 1 tablespoon is used.
- Lemon juice. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for best flavor.
What skewers to use?
Most air fryers will require shorter skewers than would be used on a grill. Before starting check to see if the length of your skewers fit.
I use a Corsori 5.8 quart air fryer which has a square basket. The skewers I use are 8-inch skewers (these are the specific skewers seen in the photos). Most air fryers will use 6-8 inch skewers. Bamboo skewers and wooden skewers can also be used. This size fits in the Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer.
Non metal skewers should be soaked in water for 30 minutes and dabbed dry before adding the kabob ingredients. This ensures they do not burn in the cooking process.
How to make it
Printable recipe card at the end of this post.
STEP 1. Marinate the chicken
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and dried oregano.
Add the cubed chicken and stir to coat. Allow to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes or longer.
Optional: you can add the vegetables or some of them to the chicken and marinade at the end and stir to coat.
NOTE: for more flavor the chicken can be covered and allowed to marinate in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
STEP 2. Assemble the skewers
Thread the skewers with some of each of the chicken, onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and zucchini. I find it easiest to create a pattern and follow it to ensure each skewer has the same ingredients. I placed three pieces of chicken on each skewer separated by vegetables (refer to photos).
Lightly salt and pepper the assembled kabobs.
STEP 3. Preheat the air fryer
While you are assembling the air fryer kabobs preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
STEP 4. Air fry
Place some of the skewers into the basket of your preheated air fryer in a single layer. I found 4 at a time allowed good air circulation. Cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping the skewers with tongs halfway through (don't skip this). The skewers are done when the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Repeat for the remaining air fryer chicken kebabs.
NOTE: every air fryer is different. Your cooking time can range from 8-12 minutes depending on the air fryer and the size of your ingredients.
STEP 5. Serve
Remove from the air fryer allow to sit for 1-2 minutes and serve hot.
Like a spicy marinade? Add some red pepper flakes to the marinade.
Use some different vegetables. Yellow squash, cherry tomatoes or other fresh favorite vegetables can be added or substituted.
- Air Fryer cooking varies. Each brand and type of air fryer differs in how it cooks. It's important to monitor cooking in your air fryer for doneness.
- Adding ingredients to the skewers. The ingredients should be placed next to each other but not jammed together. This ensures all ingredients will cook fully especially the chicken.
- Don't over crowd the air fryer basket. You'll need to cook the kabobs in batches. Room should be left between the kabobs to allow proper cooking.
- Flip the skewers halfway through. This ensures they cook evenly. If they are not flipped one side can become over done.
- Use tongs to flip the skewers. Because the skewers will be hot and the air fryer basket crowded use tongs to flip the skewers and remove them after cooking.
How to Store
Remove the the air fryer kabob ingredients from the skewers and place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Can be eaten cold or reheated.