If you love an exciting side dish that's ready in less than 15 minutes this Pomegranate Cauliflower Rice is it! Full of earthy spices, fresh pomegranate seeds, mint and chopped pistachio nuts.
This is a simple cauliflower rice recipe for a fantastic side dish. The addition of fresh herbs, sweet pomegranate and salty crunchy pistachios really creates a next level dish perfect for a healthy meal.
You don't need to buy cauliflower rice; you can make your own cauliflower rice (we'll show you how). If you are concerned about how the cauliflower tastes, make this recipe just once and we think you'll be delighted.
This is an easy recipe perfect any night of the week or at the holiday table too (think Thanksgiving or Christmas meals).
What makes this skinny?
- Using cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice has 3 grams of carbs and 25 calories in 1 cup versus 45 grams of carbs and 205 calories in 1 cup of long grain white rice.
- Only 1 tablespoon of olive oil is used
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Cumin seeds. Be sure to use cumin seeds not ground cumin.
Lemon peel. Use a vegetable peeler to peel two strips the full length of the lemon.
Cauliflower rice. You'll need 4 cups. We recommend using homemade cauliflower rice (instructions below). Frozen and thawed rice will work as will fresh store bought cauliflower rice found in the produce section of grocery stores. You'll need a large head of cauliflower to make the rice at home.
Pistachio nuts. Use lightly salted. You'll need to chop them.
How to make this Cauliflower Rice recipe - Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preparation
Press on the cauliflower rice with paper towels to absorb any excess moisture (photo 1).
STEP 2. Sauté
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (photo 2). Add the garlic and ginger, sauté for 2 minutes (photo 3).
Add the cumin seeds, lemon peel and coriander. Sauté 2 additional minutes (photo 4-5).
STEP 2. Steam
Stir in the cauliflower rice (photos 6-7). Cover and allow to steam for 5-8 minutes until heated through (photo 8).
STEP 3. Toss
Remove from heat and toss in the pomegranate seeds, fresh mint and pistachio nuts (photos 9-10). Serve immediately.
How to make homemade cauliflower rice
It's very easy to make at home. All you need is a box grater (cheese grater). This is the best way to make it.
- Rinse a large cauliflower head and pat dry with paper towels.
- Quarter it and discard any green leaves.
- Grate using the medium holes in the box grater to get small pieces the size of rice. One large head of cauliflower will make aproximately 4 cups of raw riced cauliflower.
- Place in a large bowl. Cover with two layers of paper towels and press down to remove any excess moisture. Alternatively you can place the cauliflower rice in a thin clean kitchen towel and squeeze it. NOTE: this makes a difference in the final cooking.
A food processor can also be used with the grater attachment. Cut cauliflower florets (rinse and dry first) and process into tiny pieces of riced cauliflower.
How to use it
It can be used anytime traditional rice is used (regular white rice or brown rice). Use it in stir fry recipes, fried rice, in bowl recipes or any other way you'd use rice. It mixes well with any other vegetables or meat. It's an easy way to get more vegetables in your daily diet. Try it place of couscous (would be great with our Mediterranean Shrimp).
How to Store
To store leftovers of the cooked recipe place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
For storing raw cauliflower: we recommend making it right before you cook the recipe. Raw cauliflower can take on an unappealing flavor and smell when stored in the refrigerator even for a few days. It can also be frozen after making it.
How to freeze cauliflower rice
Either cooked riced cauliflower or raw cauliflower rice can be frozen. Place in an airtight freezer-safe container or bag and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator.
WW Personal Points
To load the recipe ingredients into your WW app, log in to the WW app, then click the button below. The recipe will automatically populate with your WW Personal Points values.
The recipe ingredients can also be manually added in the Create Recipe feature. If you change any of the ingredient types or amounts be sure to update the details in your app.
More recipes you'll love!
Pomegranate Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons diced peeled ginger root
- 2 teaspoon diced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 strips of lemon peel
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped lightly salted pistachio seeds
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for two minutes.
- Add cumin seeds, lemon peel and coriander; sauté an additional two minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice. Stir to combine with the other ingredients. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes until heated through.
- Remove from heat and toss in the pomegranate seeds, chopped mint and chopped pistachio nuts. Serve hot.
- Rinse and pat dry a large head of cauliflower
- Cut into quarters and discard any green leaves
- Grate with a box grater on medium size holes into small pieces of riced cauliflower.