This easy Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki recipe is a restaurant-style easy dinner that's fast and delicious when made at home. It's fast enough for a weeknight dinner (15 minutes cook time) and easier than making teriyaki chicken stir fry.
This Teriyaki Chicken recipe is an easy meal the whole family will love. The homemade teriyaki sauce has the classic salty-sweet flavors with a hint of spiciness too. Add some vegetables and cauliflower rice or regular rice for a complete meal and healthy dinner.
What makes this skinny?
- We've removed the oil typically used when preparing this dish on the stove top
- The sugar has been cut down but still adds a sweet touch to the delicious sauce
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts are used which are a lean cut of chicken (vs. chicken thighs)
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Boneless skinless chicken breasts. You'll need one pound and the chicken will be cut into 1-inch pieces.
Soy sauce. Regular or gluten-free soy sauce or Tamari can be used.
How to make Chicken Teriyaki in the Instant Pot
Printable detailed measurements and instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
STEP 1. Preparation
Season the chicken with salt and pepper (photo 1).
STEP 2. Make the sauce
In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, minced garlic, minced ginger, honey, water and crushed red pepper flakes (photo 2).
STEP 3. Pressure Cook
Lightly spray the inner pot of the Instant Pot liner with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken and the sauce into the Instant Pot . Toss to coat the chicken.
Seal the Instant Pot lid and move the pressure valve to the Sealing position. Select Manual (or Pressure Cook) HIGH PRESSURE for a cooking time of 10 minutes.
When the cooking cycle concludes allow a NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE for 5 minutes followed by a quick release of any remaining pressure (photo 3).
STEP 4. Thicken the sauce
While the natural release is happening combine 2 tablespoons of water with 2 tablespoons of corn starch to make a cornstarch slurry; whisk to dissolve the cornstarch.
When pressure is fully released, open the lid. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon leaving the cooking liquid in the Instant Pot (the chicken will be added back when the sauce is thickened).
Turn on the SAUTE function. When the liquid in the Instant Pot begins to bubble slowly pour in the cornstarch mixture. Continue whisking to combine and allow the mixture to thicken (1-2 minutes). When thickened add the chicken back, stir to combine and turn off the Instant Pot (photo 4).
How to Serve easy Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
Serve on top of rice (cauliflower rice, white rice or brown rice) or grain of choice and a side of broccoli or green beans. Garnish with scallions (green onions) and sesame seeds.
Skinless boneless chicken thighs. Boneless thighs can be substituted if desired. Adjust calories accordingly.
Chicken tenders can also be used. If preferred or you have them on hand you can substitute chicken tenderloins for the chicken breasts. Prepare them in the same way.
How to Store
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat. If needed add a bit of water or chicken broth to thin the sauce when reheating it.
If freezing it, allow the Instant Pot chicken teriyaki to cool before putting in the freezer or the chicken may end up with a rubbery texture.
More recipes you'll love!
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce regular or gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon diced ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup water + 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1-2 scallions (green onions) sliced for garnish
- Season the cut chicken with the salt and pepper.
- In a bowl combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, minced garlic, minced ginger, honey, water, and red pepper flakes. Whisk to dissolve the sugar.
- Lightly spray the inner pot of the Instant Pot with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken and sauce to the Instant Pot and seal the lid and pressure valve.
- Select the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button (depending on model) and HIGH PRESSURE. Select the cook time of 10 minutes.
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes. Follow with a manual release or any remaining pressure.
- While the Instant Pot is releasing, in a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons of water until completely dissolved into a slurry.
- Remove the Instant Pot lid. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set it aside (it will be added back after the sauce is thickened).
- Select the SAUTE function. When the sauce starts bubbling, slowly pour in the cornstarch slurry while whisking the sauce. Allow the sauce to thicken (1-2 minutes). Press the CANCEL button to turn off the Instant Pot. Add the chicken back into the sauce and stir to fully coat.
- Serve hot with rice (cauliflower rice, white rice or brown rice) garnished with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.