One pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables is a colorful, delicious, easy recipe that makes a whole meal! Flavored with fresh rosemary, Italian seasonings, garlic and a touch of lemon. It's made with simple ingredients and Mediterranean flavors the whole family will love.
This roast chicken recipe is makes an easy dinner! With cooking time of only 30-35 minutes you can pull of a healthy meal in a flash . And the vegetables recipe is built in so there is only one pan to make a complete meal.
Colorful vegetables make this an eye catching dish and the dried and fresh herbs give tons of flavor. This is a one-pan wonder favorite recipe.
Because it only takes a couple of minutes to pull together the marinade it's an easy chicken dinner for weeknight meals (especially busy weeknights), a delicious lazy weekend meal and for meal prepping.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's a very quick and EASY recipe
- Cooking at a higher oven temperature seals the meat locking in juices (making juicy meat)
- A rosemary and garlic marinade adds big flavor both to the chicken and vegetables
- The vegetables release moisture as they cook that keeps the chicken from drying out
- Resting the chicken after cooking allows the juices to redistribute for moist results
What makes it skinny?
Lean boneless skinless chicken breast in a calorie-light flavorful marinade. Leaving off the chicken skin removes most of the fat calories from the chicken.
Loads of favorite veggies cooked with olive oil spray (and seasonings) instead of oil. It's a filling meal of healthy ingredients.
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts. You'll need four boneless chicken breasts each about 6 ounces for a total weight around 1.5 pounds. Choose similar size chicken breasts so they will cook in the same amount of time.
Red Bell Pepper and Yellow Bell Pepper. You'll need two medium size bell peppers. Remove the seeds and stem and cut into 1-inch pieces.
Zucchini. You'll need 1 ¾ cups thick cut quartered slices (slice first then quarter the slices).
Lemon. The lemon is cut into wedges and roasts with the chicken and vegetables.
- fresh Rosemary
- Italian Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make the Roasted Chicken & Vegetables - Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Marinate chicken
Combine the chicken with the marinade ingredients (in a large bowl or zipper close gallon plastic bag): rosemary, Italian seasoning, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss to fully coat (photo 1).
Refrigerate and marinate for at minimum of 30 minutes up to 24 hours before cooking.
STEP 2. Preheat oven
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
STEP 3. Season the vegetables
While the oven is heating prepare the vegetables. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of chopped rosemary and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
Add the cut red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, zucchini and onion to a large bowl. Spritz with olive oil spray and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the seasoning and toss to coat with the herbs (photo 2). Allow to sit at room temperature until the oven is heated.
STEP 4. Roast
Spray the bottom of a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the vegetables evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Place the lemon wedges with the vegetables.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and place chicken on top of the vegetables (photo 3). Note though the images show 3 chicken breasts there will be 4.
Cook for 30-35 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Remove the pan and let the chicken rest 3-5 minutes before serving or cutting (photo 4).
STEP 5. Serve
NOTE: liquid will be released from the vegetables during cooking. Serve with a slotted spoon to drain any excess liquid back into the pan.
Serve the golden brown chicken whole or sliced on a bed of vegetables.
For stronger flavor, combine the marinade and chicken and marinate for up to 24 hours before cooking.
Prepare the marinating chicken the day before cooking. Then season the vegetables while the oven preheats.
The vegetables develop most of their flavor as they cook with the spices.
Meal Prep idea
This light and healthy combination is a great option for meal prepping too.
- Allow the ingredients to cool.
- Individually pack portions of the prepared recipe into containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Keep the breasts whole cut into pieces and mixed with the vegetables for easy reheating.
- Add a grain (brown rice, white rice, quinoa, etc) to the containers or serve with cauliflower rice.
Pro Recipe Tips
Use same size chicken breasts. Always select similar size boneless chicken breasts to ensure the chicken will all cook in the same amount of time.
Cut vegetables into 1-inch pieces. As with the chicken, having all the vegetables the same size ensures they'll cook in the same amount of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
The chicken needs to reach 165 degrees F internal temperature. The only way to verify this is with a food thermometer. The chicken will continue to cook slightly after it's removed from the oven as it rests too.
Yes as long as everything is fully cooked before eating it.
Storing Leftovers & Reheating
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The leftover chicken can be kept up to 4 days but the vegetables are best eaten in 3 days.
Reheat on low heat (to prevent the meat drying out) in the microwave.
More recipes you'll love!
Did you make it? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
One Pan Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Chicken & Marinade
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts total weight approximately 1.5 pounds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- olive oil spray
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ¾ cups 1-inch thick slices then quartered Zucchini
- 1 large red onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium lemon cut into 4-6 wedges lengthwise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large bowl or gallon zipper close plastic bag, combine the marinade ingredients: 1 tablespoon rosemary, 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings, olive oil, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix together fully.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat if using a bowl. Or seal the bag (if using), squeezing out all air and massage the marinade into the chicken from the outside of the bag. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes. NOTE: the marinade and chicken may marinate for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven at 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 1 tablespoon rosemary and 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings. Mix together fully.
- In a large bowl combine the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, zucchini and onion. Spritz with olive oil spray; toss to coat.Sprinkle on the seasoning mixture. Toss to fully coat.
- Spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer the seasoned vegetable evenly in the baking dish.
- Place the lemon wedges in with the vegetables. Lightly salt and pepper the vegetables.
- Add the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables leaving space in between the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Remove the baking dish from the oven and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.NOTE: the vegetable may have released liquid during cooking. If so remove them with a slotted spoon allowing excess liquid to remain in the baking dish.
- Serve hot with the chicken whole or sliced on a bed of the vegetables. Garnish with chopped Italian parsley if desired.
Select chicken breasts the same size for even cooking results.
Adjust cooking time if using larger chicken breasts or more than 1.5 pounds. Ensure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees before removing from the oven to rest. Meal Prep
If you make the recipe for meal prep, let chicken and veggies cool down before transferring in a glass bowl and cover. Storing Leftovers Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.