A patriotic fruit salad is the hit of summer picnics and perfect for Independence Day and Memorial Day celebrating. The colors of the American flag is the perfect way to celebrate patriotic holidays in a healthy, low calorie way!
Summer Fruit Salads are a staple of summer barbecues for good reason. The fresh fruit is sweet and refreshing. It's a dish the entire family loves AND it's a great side dish that's a perfect addition to any gathering or meal.
If you are looking for lower calories patriotic desserts, add a spray of low-fat or low-sugar whipped cream on the fruit salad! The perfect patriotic dessert!
What makes this skinny?
It's all fresh fruits which are not only lower in calories but high in nutrition and fiber. The options on how to serve also does not add any high calorie fatty options that take away from the healthy addition of this salad to your summer bbqs!
If on WW you'll love the points too (there aren't any).
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Any combination of red fruit, white fruit and blue fruits can be used! Check out the lists below of different fruits you can swap in!
Blackberries. You'll need one 6-ounce container.
Blueberries. You'll need one 6-ounce container.
Raspberries. You'll need one 6-ounce container. See the note under Expert Tips for preparing raspberries.
Strawberries. Use one 16-ounce container of sweet strawberries. Be sure to select strawberries that are ripe (no white or green on the fruit) and not bruised.
Apples. Three medium or two large apples will be used. Rinse, dry and core the apples before cutting into bite-size piece. They do not need to be peeled. Use sweet apples versus tart (Granny Smith) apples.
How to make this Red White and Blue Fruit Salad
In a large serving bowl combine the fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries and raspberries, and chopped apple.
Stir all ingredients together. Serve at room temperature or chilled. See ways to serve it below!
Three Ways to Serve it
- If the fruit is fully ripe and sweet, serving the summer salad as is with just the flavors of the fruits is perfect.
- To brighten up the flavors, squeeze on the juice of 1-2 limes; toss to combine. The lime brightens the sweetness of the fruit. If the fruit isn't very sweet it can make it less sweet.
- If the fruit is not sweet add 2-3 teaspoons of granulated sugar to the lime juice, stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour onto the fruit and toss. Allow the fruit to sit for 20 minutes. This is called macerating the fruit. It softens the fruit while pulling moisture out and allows a thin syrup to form which will sweeten the fruit.
Select fully ripe fruit. The riper the fruit the more flavor and natural sweetness it will have. This helps avoid adding sweeteners to the fresh fruit salad (keeps the calories lower).
Rinse and allow fruit to dry. For berries especially after rinsing place them on a few layers of paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Raspberries in particular are very delicate and can become water logged. Letting some of the excess moisture be absorbed before adding them to the salad will have better texture and they'll last longer.
More fruit options
Any combination of fruits you love make the perfect salad! The lists below give options for each color fruit great for a patriotic salad.
- Red Grapes
- Blood Oranges
- White Peaches
- White Nectarines
- Banana. Bananas will oxidize (turn brown) if exposed to the air for an extended period of time. They also don't stand up well in leftovers. We recommend these if making and serving directly.
- Dragon fruit. This fruit can have different color flesh but one that is easier to find is white with small black seeds.
- Carambola. Also called Star Fruit this fruit is actually light yellow, not white. BUT we've included it because if you cut it crosswise it makes perfect stars ideal for a red white and blue fruit salad for a patriotic salad.
- White Currants
- Rambutan. This tropical fruit is the size of a golf ball with a red spiky exterior and soft globular fruit inside. It's easy to peel and the fruit is a sweet, light flavor. They would be most easy to find at an Asian market or a store with a more extensive produce department like Whole Foods. The one downside for a fruit salad is that they have a small pit. Like peaches some are freestone (meaning you could easily separate the pit from the flesh) and some are clingstone which are harder to cut out.
- Lychee. Another delicious tropical fruit similar in size to rambutan. The exterior is a thin red bumpy peel that's easy to remove. It also has a pit that is easy to remove like you would removing a pit from an avocado. The flavor is light like a cross between strawberries and watermelon. You'd find this where you'd find rambutan.
- Concord Grapes
Make Star shapes
A favorite addition to a red white and blue fruit salad for a Fourth of July celebration or Memorial Day weekend is adding fruit stars. All you need is a small star cookie cutter!
Watermelon, dragon fruit or apple slices are easy to turn into stars making your festive fruit salad a hit without loads of effort.
How to Store
Store in an airtight covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (for leftovers). If any sweetened syrup has been it may not last as long. The salad it best served at room temperature or chilled right after making.