Whether you are looking for a great Meatless Monday main dish recipe or just a healthy Instant Pot recipe, this Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili fills the bill. A spin on white chili, this easy chili recipe is fast and delicious.
Using an Instant Pot is an easy way to make chili. Not only is it faster but the flavors blend together perfectly. This delicious chili is full of healthy ingredients that are easy to find at the store. The cooking time is fast but also you don't need to stir or pay attention.
If you don't love spicy food don't worry, this Instant Pot veggie chili is 'just right'. You can add some more spicy flavor if desired but it's not overly hot to start with.
Why you'll love this recipe!
- It's hearty, filling and satisfying without being laden with loads of calories
- Wholesome ingredients
- Tastes even better the next day
- No sauté cycle
What makes this skinny?
- Using plant protein in the form of beans cuts animal fat calories found in most traditional chili recipes.
- No oil or sautéing.
- A healthy portion of vegetables in every serving.
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Jalapeno pepper. Jalapeno peppers can vary in heat considerably. To reduce the spiciness remove the seeds before chopping.
Onion. We used yellow onion but white onion can also be used.
Corn. Frozen corn or drained canned corn can be used.
White Beans. The recipe calls for Cannellini Beans but Navy Beans or Great Northern Beans can be used. You'll need 2 15-ounce cans, drained and rinsed.
Mild Green Chilies. Used diced canned green chilies. Unless you are sure you love lots of spicy heat don't use hot green chilies.
Bell peppers. Because this is a white chili version we used yellow bell pepper but any color can be used.
Vegetable stock. Use low sodium vegetable broth or vegetable stock. You'll season to taste when the vegetarian chili recipe is done.
How to Make Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili - Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Combine
Add all the ingredients to the instant pot except for the cilantro: onion, yellow pepper, jalapeno pepper, corn, diced green chilies, garlic, white beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano and vegetable broth (photo 1).
Secure the lid and turn the pressure release valve to Sealing. Select High Pressure (Manual) for 5 minutes. When cooking completes allow a 5 minute Natural Pressure Release followed by a Manual Release (quick release) for any remaining pressure (photo 2).
STEP 2. Serve
Serve in a bowl garnish with cilantro. Toppings can also be added if desired.
2. Add all the ingredients to a large stock pot except for the cilantro.
3. Bring to a boil, once boiling reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. After 25 minutes season to taste.
5. Serve in a bowl garnish with cilantro.
The best part of chili can be adding your favorite toppings! Here are some of ours:
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt (we love Chobani brand). If you love sour cream on your chili this is a perfect calorie friendly substitute. Also did you know dairy products are the only thing that will take the spicy heat out of a dish? Though this Instant Pot chili isn't smoldering it's another reason to love this on top.
- Crushed tortilla chips or corn chips
- Reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Torn cilantro
- Sliced jalapeno peppers or pickled jalapenos
Use different beans. The beans suggested in this recipe are in keeping with a white chili. Any types of beans can be used. Try black beans, pinto beans, red kidney beans or other favorite beans. If using canned beans drain and rinse them. If you want to substitute home cooked beans you'll need 3 cups.
Use different bell peppers. To make a more colorful chili consider using green pepper, red bell pepper, orange bell pepper or a mixture.
Chicken broth or stock. If you don't care about keeping the vegetarian chili you can substitute chicken broth or stock. Choose a fat free or low sodium version.
Tomato sauce or tomato paste. If you love a tomato based chili add a can of diced tomatoes or stir in some tomato paste for extra flavor.
Like it spicy or with smoky flavor? Add some chipotle peppers (chilies) and or adobo sauce.
How to Store + Reheat
Store leftovers in a sealed glass jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in bowls in the microwave or on the stove top in a saucepan.
How to Freeze
This chili freezes well and has great flavor when reheated. Allow to fully cool and store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.