Air Fryer Tomatoes are a quick, perfect side dish, snack or appetizer! Simple ingredients combine to give these air fry tomatoes an amazing flavor and in just 15 minutes cooking time! Only 29 calories or 0 Weight Watchers points per serving.
Add this Air Fryer Tomatoes recipe to your 'delicious air fryer recipes' collection! It's a very easy way to roast tomatoes using the air fryer instead on the oven. It's a simple recipe that's perfect on its own or to add to pasta sauce, soups, salads, sandwiches and wraps and more.
Not only do they make a great side dish, they are a delicious appetizer too sprinkled with fresh herbs or some balsamic drizzle.
What makes this skinny?
- Fresh tomatoes are the main ingredient which are low calorie.
- Only olive oil spray is used. Loads of fatty calories aren't needed for this easy recipe.
- Air fryer cooking. Air fryers use convection technology which circulates hot air around the food to give a result similar to deep frying without the calories.
Recipe Ingredients Notes
Campari tomatoes. You'll use fresh tomatoes (not canned). This variety is sweet, juicy, flavorful tomatoes and low acidity. They are also not mealy as beefsteak tomatoes and larger tomatoes can be.
The size of the tomatoes is slightly larger than cherry tomatoes but smaller than regular tomatoes so you can cook several in the air fryer at a time.
You'll usually find them in the grocery store produce section sold in a plastic container on the vine in 1 pound packages. Rinse and pat dry before starting the recipe.
Olive oil spray. You'll use just enough to coat the tomatoes so the seasonings will stick to them. Avocado oil spray can also be used.
Kosher salt. We recommend kosher salt which is a less salty tasting salt with better overall flavor.
Freshly ground black pepper. Freshly ground pepper gives the best flavor.
Garlic cloves. You'll use two large cloves of garlic minced.
Fresh basil (optional). Some chopped fresh basil can be added to the top of the tomatoes when serving if desired.
How to make Air Fryer Tomatoes
STEP 1. Preparation
Rinse and pat dry the tomatoes. Using a cutting board slice them each in half (photos 1-2).
STEP 2. Toss
Place the tomato halves in a large bowl. Spritz with olive oil, gently toss, and spritz again so there is a coating of olive oil spray on all sides of the tomatoes.
Add the minced garlic, salt and pepper to the bowl (photo 3). Toss to coat the tomatoes (photo 4).
STEP 3. Air Fry
Place the tomatoes skin side down in the air fryer basket in a single layer (photo 5). Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes for juicy tomatoes (photo 6).
For a more dehydrated tomatoes with a consistency similar to sun dried tomatoes, cook for 20-25 minutes (photo below).
Carefully remove the tomatoes from the air fryer basket and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Top with chopped fresh basil if desired and serve.
Add different spices. Italian seasoning or Mexican seasoning gives the roasted tomatoes a different flavor. Add ½-1 teaspoon along with the salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with fresh herbs. When serving you can sprinkle with fresh herbs to brighten the roast tomatoes. Fresh oregano, basil, thyme leaves or cilantro work great.
Air fryer cooking. Different brands, models and sizes of air fryer cooks slightly differently. Always monitor the food in your own air fryer and extend the cooking time as needed.
These tomatoes were cooked in a Cosori XL 5.8qt 1700 watt air fryer (which is a more powerful air fryer).
How to Use
These air fryer tomatoes can be eaten as is for a delicious side dish or in a variety of recipes.
- Add to a salad
- Sprinkle with some freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve on toast or in a wrap
- Toss with cooked spaghetti squash for a pasta replacement
- Add to a frittata or egg scramble
- Use in soups or stews
How to store
Allow the tomatoes to cool slightly after cooking. Then place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If cooking them longer to make dehydrated tomatoes they will last slightly longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure. If using a smaller tomato, like cherry tomatoes, you'll need to reduce the cooking time so they don't burn. If using large tomatoes they may need to be thickly sliced instead of halved to cook fully. Roma tomatoes or plum tomatoes can be halved but will take slightly longer cooking time. Always use fully ripe tomatoes for the best flavor.
More recipes you'll love!
Air Fryer Tomatoes
- 1 pound Campari tomatoes
- olive oil spray
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil optional
- Rinse tomatoes and pat dry. Cut the tomatoes in half.1 pound Campari tomatoes
- Place the halved tomatoes in a large bowl. Spritz with olive oil spray, gently toss and spritz again to lightly coat the tomaotes.olive oil spray
- Sprinkle in the garlic, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the tomatoes.1 teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 2 cloves garlic
- Place the tomatoes into the air fryer basket, skin side down, in a single layer. NOTE: depending on the air fryer basket size you may need to cook in batches.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes for juicier roasted tomatoes or 20-25 minutes for more dehydrated sun dried tomato style tomatoes (note: they will not completely dehydrate).
- Carefully remove from air fryer basket and allow to sit 1-2 minutes before serving. Top with fresh basil or other herbs if desired.fresh basil
Love how easy this recipe is. It’s perfect for our family!
These were so delicious! I smashed some on a piece of whole grain toast with a thin layer of low fat cream cheese spread. A bit of salt and pepper and I was in heaven!
Super quick and easy to make these tomatoes are perfect as a side dish.
Love this recipe! It goes great on a salad.
These air fryer tomatoes were so juicy. They are exactly what I needed to mix with my tomato sauce. Love the roasted flavor.