Air Fryer Tilapia is a delicious dinner option for busy weeknights. Tender flaky white fish cooked to perfectly in less than 10 minutes cook time! It's a mild fish seasoned to perfection making a healthy recipe the whole family will love! 0 Weight Watchers points too.
'Eat more fish!' How many times have you heard this? It's true but somehow making fish can be a mystery or if you don't like the flavor it's turnoff. No matter what camp you fall in this Air Fryer Tilapia recipe is for you! It's an easy way to work fish into a healthy meal and enjoy it too!
Tilapia is a delicate, flaky fish with very mild flavor (read: it's not fishy tasting). Unlike some other choices like yummy buttery Sea Bass, tilapia is also inexpensive making it a great choice for a main dish or to use in other recipes like tilapia fish tacos.
The simple homemade seasoning mixture gives just the right flavors to the fish filets. Fresh fish or frozen and thawed tilapia filets can be used. Air fry tilapia can be used for meal prepping too! Try it with our Air Fryer Green Beans.
After trying our air fryer tilapia try our Air Fryer Miso Salmon, Blackened Air Fryer Mahi Mahi or Baked Salmon with Orange-Chili Glaze!
What makes this skinny?
- Tilapia is a low calorie fish that packs a ton of protein (26 grams of protein in a serving with only 128 calories). It's also low fat (3 grams of fat per serving). It's also loaded with vitamins and minerals. Combined with the mild flavor makes a great way to eat fish regularly!
- The only other ingredients are seasonings and a spritz of olive oil which are very low in calories.
Recipe Ingredient Notes
Tilapia fillets. Our recipe is based on using 4-ounce fillets (the recommended serving size). You can find fresh tilapia fillets in the fish section of the store or frozen in separate fillets.
If using frozen fillets start with completely thawed tilapia fillets. Larger fillets can also be used however the cooking time will need to be adjusted.
Seasonings. Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder are used to season the fillets.
Lemon. You'll squeeze the juice of half a lemon on the air fryer tilapia fillets before serving.
Olive oil spray. A spritz on the fillets before cooking prevents them from sticking to the air fryer basket and helps crisp the outside too.
How to make Air Fryer Tilapia
Printable recipe card at the end of the post.
STEP 1. Mix seasonings
In a small bowl combine the kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder. Stir to mix together.
STEP 2. Season the tilapia
Pat off any excess moisture on the fish fillets with a paper towel. Sprinkle on the seasoning on both sides of the fillets (photo 1). Spritz lightly with olive oil spray.
STEP 3. Air Fry
Place the prepared tilapia fillets in the air fryer basket in a single layer (photo 2). Cook at 390 for 7-8 minutes (flipping over halfway through cooking) or until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145 degrees F. The fish will be opaque and flaky (photo 3).
STEP 4. Add lemon juice
Remove from the air fryer and transfer to dining plates. Give the air fryer fish a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve!
Use an instant-read thermometer for food. The most accurate way to determine if meat or fish is done is by taking the internal temperature of the food.
Using an instant read thermometer does this immediate so the food doesn't begin to cool while waiting for the reading as can happen with a traditional meat thermometer.
Air fryer cooking. Every brand, type and size of air fryer cooks slightly differently. Monitor the air fryer fish recipe during the air frying cooking process and adjust as needed.
The best way to know to do this is by taking the internal temperature of the tasty fish. This recipe was developed using a Cosori 5.8 quart XL 1700 watt air fryer.
How to Store
Store any leftover tilapia in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 390 for 3 minutes or until warmed through or in the microwave.
More recipes you'll love!
Did you make it? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST
Air Fryer Tilapia
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 4-ounce filets tilapia fresh filets or frozen and thawed filets
- olive oil spray
- ½ lemon to squeeze on before serving
- Combine the kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl. Mix to combine.¼ teaspoon kosher salt, Pinch freshly ground black pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pat the tilapia filets with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Season with the blended seasoning on both sides of the filets.2 4-ounce filets tilapia
- Lightly spritz the filets (both sides) with olive oil spray. This keeps them from sticking to the air fryer basket and helps crisp the outside.Transfer the tilapia to the air fryer basket.olive oil spray
- Cook at 390 degrees F for 7-8 minutes (flipping halfway through) or until the internal temperature is 145 degrees F.
- Remove from the air fryer basket, squeeze the lemon on top and enjoy.
I love tilapia because it has such a mild flavor. This recipe did not disappoint.
This recipe came right in time - I was just told I need to eat more fish! So this is perfect- quick, easy and so tasty!
Absolutey delicious! This will be a regular for me. Loved the flavor and texture (can't say that about all fish lol).
Quick and easy! This air fryer tilapia is going on my frequent rotation list right now.
Tilapia is one of my favorite white fish, and this recipe was delicious! Loved how fast and easy it was too.