Easy Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon is a delicious meal perfect for busy weeknights. You can have dinner on the table in 20 minutes (about 10 minutes cook time)!
Enjoy a delicious weeknight meal with whole family will love. The air fryer salmon recipes is fast, moist, tender with the light flavor of teriyaki sauce. All you need is to add your favorite side dishes (we served with our Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes), some brown rice or white rice, and you have a delicious dinner in a flash! It makes gorgeous flaky salmon every time.
What makes this skinny?
Air Fryer cooking. We love easy air fryers recipes because they give a fried flavor without extra oil added during cooking. This air fryer teriyaki salmon recipe is a great example! Fast, easy and delicious.
Low calorie teriyaki glaze. Instead of using bottled teriyaki sauce which can have up to 50 calories per tablespoon, we use our homemade version that is only 16 calories per tablespoon and with no refined sugar (we swapped traditional brown sugar for maple syrup).
Salmon. Salmon is considered a fairly low calorie food. If eating a recommended serving size it is filling and delicious.
Recipe Ingredients Notes
For the complete ingredient list and amounts, refer to the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
Maple Teriyaki Sauce. We used ¼ cup of our flavorful homemade teriyaki sauce which is only 16 calories per tablespoon. Our recipes makes a quick homemade teriyaki sauce. Any teriyaki sauce can be used (including store-bought teriyaki sauce); adjust the calories for the recipe if tracking.
Salmon fillet. We used a one-pound salmon fillet (with skin) which is cut into servings after cooking. A salmon fillet is a side cut of the fish that usually has few if any bones but always check.
- individual salmon fillets can be used instead but will cook faster; monitor and adjust the cooking time as needed to reach 145 degrees F internal temperature.
- a one pound fillet with skin takes longer to cook than a fillet without the skin. If cooking a fillet without skin monitor and adjust cooking time to be shorter.
- farm raised or wild caught salmon can be used. The cooking time will not change.
- salmon skin can be removed after cooking or eaten (salmon skin is edible).
- this recipe cooking time is based on salmon straight out of the refrigerator (cold) versus room temperature salmon. Room temperature salmon will cook faster.
- serving size: we use multiple governmentally controlled and monitored nutrition agencies for recommended servings sizes (including the USDA and Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The recommended serving size for salmon is 3.5-4 ounces. You may choose a larger portion and if so adjust the calories accordingly.
How to make it
STEP 1. Preheat the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Dab the salmon fillet with paper towels to remove any excess moisture if needed.
STEP 2. Baste the salmon
When the air fryer is preheated, spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray or avocado spray. Place the salmon skin side down and place 2 tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce on top of the salmon and brush to coat the top (photo 1-2).
NOTE: you can also do this before adding the salmon to the air fryer basket.
STEP 3. Air Fry
Cook the salmon for 4 minutes the brush on the remaining 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce (leave the salmon in the air fryer basket when you do this) (photo 3).
Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 145 degrees F (photo 4).
NOTE: See the Air Fryer cooking note in Pro Tips below. If after the five minutes the salmon is not at the done temperature, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes at a time until done, checking the temperature after each additional cooking to avoid overcooking.
Instead of basting the salmon it can be marinated in the teriyaki sauce.
- Place the salmon fillet in a glass container or plastic bag with zipper seal top.
- Add the ¼ cup teriyaki marinade sauce and coat the salmon.
- Seal and allow to marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Remove the marinated salmon when the air fryer is preheated, spray the basket and cook as directed.
Salmon thickness. The thickness of the salmon can vary and even if two pieces are the same weight. If their thickness varies the cooking time will too. Always check with monitor during cooking and check for doneness with a food thermometer.
Air Fryer cooking. Every brand, model and size of air fryer cooks slightly differently. Monitor during cooking to adjust for your air fryer. This recipe was developed with a Cosori XL 5.8 quart air fryer (1700 watt).
Store leftovers for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can be rewarmed or used chilled in salads, wraps, or as is.