This light, fresh creamy Zucchini Soup is an easy flavor-packed soup with simple ingredients. A great way to enjoy zucchini any time of the year. Instant Pot and stove top methods included.
This delicious cream of zucchini soup is a bit of a fake out. It IS a creamy, delicious soup but there's no heavy cream. In fact there's nothing high calorie included.
It's a great recipe to demonstrate how just a handful of ingredients can make a delicious recipe.
This will become one of your favorite ways to use fresh garden zucchini in the summer months (even the giant zucchini that the neighbors drop on the door step).
Naturally gluten-free and vegan too.
Creamy Zucchini Soup
When you think about zucchini recipes they don't get more tasty than this. It's a favorite summer soup but zucchini is available all year so make it any time!
After it cooks blend it using an immersion blender (or stick blender) or regular blender. It combines all the ingredients into a creamy texture without any cream or milk.
The soup makes a great low calorie light supper or a comforting soup in addition to a main course.
What makes this skinny?
- Only 1 tablespoon of oil (used for sautéing)
- Ingredients are just vegetables and water
- This creamy zucchini soup could be confused with cream of zucchini soup for it's flavor and rich texture. But that's just thanks to the way it's prepared.
A cup of actual cream of zucchini soup has 169 calories. This version has 66 calories per cup. A serving of the soup have 1 WW SmartPoint for any of the plans.
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Zucchini. You'll need 4 cups of fresh zucchini cut into large pieces. This will be about 1 ½ pounds of zucchini. It will be blended after cooking so rough cutting is fine.
Garlic cloves. Use 1-2 large garlic cloves minced.
Yellow onion. Peel and chop a small onion for the recipe. You'll need about ¼ cup.
Cooking oil. This will be used for sautéing the vegetables before cooking the soup ingredients.
Salt. We recommend kosher salt which is a less salty flavored salt.
Black Pepper. User freshly ground black pepper for the best flavor. White pepper would be great too!
Water. The recipe only needs 1 cup. Vegetable stock, chicken stock or chicken broth can be substituted if desired too.
Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (optional). This is optional to add a dollop on top when serving. Just a little stirred in gives the soup a tangy flavor note that's delicious.
How to Make it - Step-by-Step
Instant Pot instructions
STEP 1. Saute
Turn on the SAUTE function of the Instant Pot. Add the cooking oil (photo 1).
When the oil is hot add the chopped onions, garlic and zucchini (photo 2). Sauté until the onions begin to soften; 2 minutes (photo 3).
Turn off the SAUTE function.
STEP 2. Make the soup
Add the water, salt and pepper (photos 4-5). Seal the lid and vent of the Instant pot.
Set on HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes. When cooking completes allow a 15 minute NATURAL RELEASE followed by manual release for any remaining pressure (photo 6).
STEP 3. Blending
Remove the lid and use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup (photos 7-8). NOTE: if using a stick blender be careful of the hot soup splattering.
Serve hot! Add some fresh herbs or red pepper flakes for garnish along with a dollop of Greek plain yogurt and a few grinds of pepper (all optional).
Stove top instructions in the recipe card below.
If you have access to round zucchini they may be hollowed out to use for serving vessels (the inside can be used to make the soup too).
How to Store it
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
More recipes you'll love!
Zucchini Soup (Instant Pot + Stove Top)
- 1.5 pounds zucchini chopped (aproximately 4 cups)
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup chopped Onion aproximately 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons non-fat plain Greek yogurt optional
- Select SAUTE mode on a 6-quart Instant Pot. Add the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and zucchini and sauté for 2 minutes. Stop the SAUTE mode.
- Pour in water, salt and pepper. Close the lid, seal, and set the on HIGH PRESSURE (manual) for 5 minutes. It will take 10-15 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the Instant Pot to perform a Natural Release for 15 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and using an immersion blender or in a regular blender, blend the zucchini soup until it is smooth and creamy. NOTE: if using an immersion blender be careful of the hot soup splattering.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 above using a sauce pan on the stove over medium-high heat.
- After adding the water, salt and pepper (step 3 above) bring the ingredients to a simmer over medium or low heat. Cover and simmer until the zucchini is cooking through; aproximately 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup.
- Season with extra salt and pepper to taste (if needed). Serve with a dollop of non-fat plain Greek yogurt on top.
- Green: 1
- Blue: 1
- Purple: 1
Mandy Applegate says
This soup looks delicious, I'm putting zucchini on my shopping list!
Emily Flint says
I always love your soup recipes and this one was one of my favorites. And thanks for always giving us different ways to make the soup, I made this one in the instant pot and it was done so fast I had extra time on my hands!
Loving this creamy soup! Great way to use up a bunch of zucchini that isn't the typical "bread" recipe. The presentation in the little round ones is adorable too!
Beth Sachs says
This zucchini soup is so creamy and comforting. The perfect lunch for colder days.
I love the option to make this in the Instant Pot! And if I can find round zucchinis that will be so fun to serve the soup in!
Emily Flint says
I'm not sure why I've never had zucchini soup before but this was delicious and I love that I could make it in my Instant Pot! Now I can use all of those zucchini in the garden!
Absolutely yummy! Thank goodness I found this recipe to use up the ton of zucchini coming from my garden.
I'm loving this zucchini soup! So flavorful and healthy, yum!
Heather Johnson says
This is absolutely delicious! I loved how creamy it was without the cream! And I have to ask - where did you find those little round zucchini???? So cute!
Toni Dash says
Farmer's Markets and Whole Foods are two places that usually carry less typical forms I think. Aren't they the cutest?
This is so creamy and delicious! Perfect for the cooler season!
Jenny K says
I just made this in my Instant Pot and it’s SO good! I would never guess there is no cream in it. The yogurt on top is perfect finishing touch.
This was delicious! So much flavor and easy.