This easy Skinny Margarita recipe uses fresh ingredients to make the best margarita! Good quality tequila, fresh citrus juices and a little agave for sweetening is all you'll need!
No waiting for Cinco de Mayo to enjoy this classic cocktail gone skinny. Fresh quality ingredients and a few minutes in a cocktail shaker is all that is needed to make this great margarita.
You'll be hooked on fresh style margaritas after the first sip! This will become one of your favorite cocktail recipes, no doubt!
What's a Skinny Margarita?
A traditional margarita is made with tequila and orange liqueur (Triple Sec, Cointreau, Citronage, or for a Cadillac Margarita Grand Marnier) or using a sweetened mix. These liqueurs or mixes bump up the sugar content and the calories.
We create the classic margarita flavors with simple ingredients that are fresh, no margarita mixes, no artificial sweeteners.
What Makes it Skinny?
- Substituting fresh citrus juices for the orange liqueur or sweet and sour mix.
A regular classic margarita can range from 200-500 calories per cocktail. This version is 138 calories per cocktail and 5 WW Smartpoints (on Green, Blue or Purple).
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Tequila. Use silver or blanco tequila.
Fresh lime juice. Fresh juice always tastes best! We love using a handheld juicer for this. It's fast, easy and extracts more juice.
Fresh orange juice. As with the lime juice, freshly squeezed orange juice tastes best!
Agave nectar. Agave is sweeter than regular sugar so you won't use as much sugar as a in a classic margarita recipe. It is a natural sweetener from the agave plant which is the same plant tequila is made from. It's in a liquid form so blends easily with the cocktail.
What tequila to use for skinny margaritas?
High quality tequila always makes for the best flavor. For this fresh margarita use Silver or Blanco tequila. It has a lighter flavor since it has not been aged.
How to rim a glass with salt
Use coarse salt or 'margarita salt' which is sold specifically to rim glasses.
Pour some salt onto a small plate or bowl, deep enough to coat the rim of a glass.
Run a lime wedge around the rim to wet it. Turn the glass upside down, place the rim of the glass into the salt and gently twist the glass to coat with salt.
Remove the glass and set upright to allow the rim to dry before adding the margarita.
How to Make it
Rim an old fashioned or rocks glass with coarse salt .
Combine tequila, fruit juices, agave nectar and a couple of ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
Add the lid and shake vigorously. Strain into the rimmed glass with fresh ice.
More recipes you'll love!
- coarse salt for rimming the glass (optional)
- 1.5 ounces silver or blanco tequila
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
Rimming the glass (optional)
- Pour some salt onto a small plate or bowl, deep enough to coat the rim of a glass.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim to wet it. Turn the glass upside down, place the rim of the glass into the salt and gently twist the glass to coat with salt.
- Remove the glass and set upright to allow the rim to dry before adding the margarita.
Making the skinny margarita
- Combine tequila, lime juice, orange juice and agave nectar in a cocktail shaker or quart jar with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into the prepared glass with fresh ice.