Salpicon (Mexican Shredded Beef Salad)
This delicious authentic Mexican shredded beef salad recipe (Salpicon) is bursting with great flavor. It can be eaten as a salad, on tostadas or scooped with tortilla chips.
Servings: 8 1-cup servings (total yield: 8 ½ cups)
- 2 pounds skirt steak cut into large pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt plus extra to season the salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion red or white onion can be used; ¼ will cook with the beef, the remainder will be diced for the salad
- 3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- black pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano chile or jalapeno chile deseeded and diced or sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1-2 limes quartered
Place the pieces of steak, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, water, and ¼ of the onion.
Close and seal the lid. Set to HIGH PRESSURE for 20 minutes.
When cooking is complete, allow a NATURAL RELEASE for 5 minutes followed by a manual release for the remaining pressure.
Remove the lid and transfer the meat to a cutting board. Once cool enough to handle, shred the beef using 2 forks.ALTERNATIVELY, place the hot steak in the bowl of a stand mixer, using low speed shred the steak. Monitor so the steak does not get over shredded.
In a large bowl combine the lettuce, chile pepper, tomatoes, diced onion and fresh cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
Add the shredded steak on top or toss to combine. Add avocado slices on top. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze onto the salad.
How to Eat it
How to Store
The meat can be made ahead of time and stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator then added to the salad ingredients the next day.
Leftovers of the combined salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- It can be eaten as a whole salad (main dish) or a side dish
- Use it to top corn tortillas (spray a non stick skillet and toast them first instead of deep frying) to make a filling tostada
- Scoop it with tortilla chips
Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 377mg | Potassium: 658mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 772IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg