Red White and Blue Fruit Salad
To celebrate Fourth of July, Memorial Day or any hot summer day, this Red White and Blue Fruit Salad is the perfect choice. Full of refreshing juicy fresh fruits in the colors of the American flag!
Servings: 10 1-cup servings (total yield: 10 cups)
- 1 6-ounce container blackberries rinsed, allowed to dry on paper towels
- 1 6-ounce container blueberries rinsed, allowed to dry on paper towels
- 1 6-ounce container raspberries rinsed, allowed to dry on paper towels
- 1 16-ounce container strawberries rinsed, allowed to dry on paper towels. Stems removed, sliced or chopped
- 3 medium apples rinsed, dried, cores and seeds removed. Cut into bite-size pieces. They do not need to be peeled.
Optional (see recipe notes)
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- 2-3 teaspoons granulated sugar only if needed
In a large bowl combine the blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and apples. Gently fold them together to fully combine.
If desired add lime juice or lime juice plus sugar if needed to sweeten the fruit (see notes below). Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Three Ways to Serve It
It can also be served with a dollop of low-fat or low-sugar whipped cream for a healthy patriotic dessert!
How to Store
Store in an airtight covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (for leftovers). If any sweetened syrup has been it may not last as long. The salad it best served at room temperature or chilled right after making.
- If the fruit is fully ripe and sweet, serving the summer salad as is with just the flavors of the fruits is perfect.
- To brighten up the flavor, squeeze on the juice of 1-2 limes; toss to combine. The lime brightens the sweetness of the fruit. If the fruit isn't very sweet it can make it less sweet.
- If the fruit is not sweet add 2-3 teaspoons of granulated sugar to the lime juice, stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour onto the fruit and toss. Allow the fruit to sit for 20 minutes. This is called macerating the fruit. It softens the fruit while pulling moisture out and allows a thin syrup to form which will sweeten the fruit.
Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 194mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 86IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg