Low Calorie Vegetable Soup with Zucchini Noodles
This Low Calorie Vegetable Soup is loaded with a rainbow of vegetables. It's hearty and filling with spiralized zucchini and summer squash noodles. Big flavors and few calories.
Servings: 8 2-cup servings (total yield: 16 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 2 medium carrots rinsed and diced
- 3 medium celery stalks sliced
- 1 15.5-ounce can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes petite diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts (8 cups) fat free vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 2 cups zucchini noodles approximately 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups yellow zucchini noodles or summer squash approximately 1 medium yellow squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley for garnish
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the surface is rippling add the onion, cook, until it become translucent.
Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the carrots, celery, red beans, diced tomatoes and vegetable broth; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, add the red cabbage, stir to combine and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove from heat. Add the zucchini noodles, let it sit for 5 minutes so that the noodles become tender.
Stir in the Italian Seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot in a bowl garnish with fresh parsley.
To spiralize the zucchini noodles use a ⅛-inch or 3mm noodle blade.
How to Store
Store cooled soup in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How to Freeze
Cool soup fully. Place in an airtight freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Calories: 65kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 344mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2858IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg